Friday, February 20, 2009

Utah Senate Bill 199

I don't think I've ever gotten "political" in any of my posts, but that is a big part of who I am. If I feel strongly about an issue, I don't just sit back - I get in and fight the good fight. Well, I'm up for another fight right now. A bill has been introduced in the Utah State Senate that would effectively outlaw PTA. The sponsor of the bill says that the purpose is to guarantee equal access to all parent groups - which I am all for. But then why outlaw all groups that charge dues? PTA is the largest parent organization in the state and does so much good!!! The groups supporting this bill are being very vocal, and so I am asking all those who want to see parent involvement in schools encouraged to contact your senator and representative and tell them to stop this bill. I absolutely believe it would harm Utah children and I can't just sit by and let that happen!
(There is a lot of misinformation out there, so if you want to discuss it, I'd be happy to. And if you disagree with me, I'd love to hear why...really)

2 comments:

candipooh said...

I saw that you mentioned the bill on your fb. I didn't know what the bill was so I googled it. I found your blog. Good luck and good for you for putting what the fight. If I lived in Utah I would be right there with you.

Pauly said...

Tiffany -

Your blog is the first place I'd heard about this. I looked up the bill just now, and the text of the bill was amended yesterday as follows (http://le.utah.gov/~2009/bills/sbillamd/sb0199.htm):

S. (6) The provisions under Subsection (5)(c) do not apply to a parent group that waives the required payment of dues for a person upon the request of that person. .S

So as I read it, the PTA can still collect dues, but has to waive them on request. What am I missing?

- P