Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Little More On SB 199

I have had a few questions on SB 199 and I'd love to share my thoughts once again. All of the questions are about the amendment added that would allow a school to work with an organization that waives dues upon request. I agree that this makes the bill better, but I still have a problem with it for a few reasons. (not necessarily in order of importance to me)

First, it would require every local unit (about 600), every council and region (nearly 100), and State PTA to amend their bylaws. This would take at least a year and take valuable time away from helping kids.

Second, a local PTA unit can do a fundraiser to raise money for all of their programs, but State depends solely on membership dues to fund all of their programs. This includes the money they give to the Regions and Councils. Their budgets are already very tight and they have no other way to raise funds.

There is the possibilty of "scholarships" for those who truly can't afford it. In fact, I have paid someone's dues myself because they honestly couldn't swing $5 at the time. But those who just don't want to pay because they don't want any of their money going to National PTA probably shouldn't be in leadership positions anyway. One of the reasons that PTA is so effective in advocating for children is that we present a united front. If somebody can say, "I'm a PTA President but I think the PTA is wrong" it will affect how strongly we can advocate for children.

I think its wrong to legislate who schools can and can't work with. I think it's wrong to legislate how a private organization conducts its affairs. There are many organizations that collect dues, and they shouldn't be told how to conduct their business either.

I'm surprised at the many people who claim to be against "Government Control" who are supporters of this bill. All the organizations and people I know pushing this bill are those angry at PTA for helping to get the voucher issue on the ballot. So is the sponsor, Senator Bramble. The woman who helped write the bill claims that it isn't an Anti-PTA Bill, but that's exactly what it seems like.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

No comments: