Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Rear Facing


That is how Britton will be riding in the car for a lot longer, apparently. We had his one-year check up today and he is only 15 lbs. 14 oz. He's so light that he's a good 1/2 inch below the lowest line on the chart. How does he do it? The kid eats more than Maddy. The doctor was ready to start lab work to find out what is wrong with him until I told him the other girls were all around 16 pounds at one year. I am now supposed to add Carnation Instant Breakfast to his whole milk and have him drink that all day (no juice or water). Then we go back in 6-8 weeks for another weight check. If he was a fussy baby or laid around lethargic all day I might worry more, but the kids obviously doing okay. And his height is in the 40th percentile, so he is continuing to grow there. We just make 'em skinny, I guess...

2 comments:

Heather said...

I don't agree with your doctor about the water or juice thing. I know how skinny your children are and it is not affecting their IQ's nor their bones nor their energy. Just because they have norms for everyone doesn't mean everyone fits into those norms. And the Instant Breakfast stuff is a terrible thought!! Of course, that's just my opinion and I'm not a doctor. But I also know that doctors are not known to be the healthiest of all people, nor do they know how to tell people how to be healthy. Boy, did I get on my soap box or what. Please disregard anything that you want...I have a thing against stupid doctors.

Unknown said...

Hi Tiff! My little girl Kendal was the same way. At one point she wasn't even on the chart for weight. Her pediatrician wasn't really concerned because he said that she takes after me. He said that a lot of doctors put thin kids on a high fat diet (twinkies, junk food, etc) but he doesn't like to do that. He said to keep her eating what she had been (she could eat a whole grilled cheese sandwich) but try to encourage her to eat more milk based stuff that was healthy (cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.). She's 4 and she's doing fine, tall and skinny, so I wouldn't worry too much. :o)