Monday, January 12, 2009

In The Grand Scheme Of Things...

I realize that this is not a big deal, but I like to think that I'm not shallow very often, so please indulge me this time. I've got a decision to make, and I'm having a difficult time. My driver's license expires on my birthday next month, so I have to renew it. Question - do I renew it through the mail or go down to the DMV. Why would I even consider waiting down there for who-knows-how-long when I could just stick a stamp on a form and drop it in the mailbox? Well, my picture no longer looks like me. I have much shorter, much darker hair. More than once I've gotten the raised eyebrow when a cashier asks to look at my ID. Also, my address is incorrect. I know I won't be in this house forever, but it would be nice to have the correct address for now. But then again, my last picture actually looks really good. (I talked the guy into taking a second one) Who knows what a new picture could look like - they're not known for taking flattering photos. And my time is certainly worth something. I could probably do several loads of laundry during the time it would take me to get the new license. So, you see my dilemma...or do you?

4 comments:

Emily said...

I went on a Monday about 10 am and was out in less than 10 minutes. I hope it goes as quickly for you. I didnt know you could renew through the mail if you had a change of address.

Pauly said...

Coupla thoughts:
- If you like the picture on your current license, don't mess with it. If you don't like the new one you'll be wondering why you ever changed it
- Having the wrong address on your license is good, not bad -- total strangers have no right to see where you live.
- Utah law allows license renewals by mail, and address changes by mail. Add an hour back to your life and do it by mail!

Chelsi said...

I totally understand the whole "photo doesn't look like me at all" thought. I have the same problem with mine. However, if I didn't have to have a license with my current address on it for adoption purposes, I don't think I would head to the DMV any sooner than I absolutely had to.

Anonymous said...

I still have the same old green license I got before I left for my mission. I don't care about the picture, I'm just nostalgic about the old green license. I'm one of the few people who still has one. I have to have mine renewed this year as well. I don't think they'll let me renew by mail anymore.